ÁNGEL G. PIÑERO > THE ASSOCIATION
ANGEL G. PIÑERO CLASSICAL GUITAR ASSOCIATION
In April 2016, the guitarist from Cádiz founded the Classical Guitar Association that bears his name with the intention of "promoting the classical guitar in the world".
The aim of the competitions is to spread the Spanish classical guitar around the world, to interest young people in the instrument and to support young guitarists starting out on their careers. In the competitions the participants perform exclusively the works of Ángel G. Piñero, works that have been performed at important music festivals, such as the Festival Internacional de Música Contemporánea de Madrid (COMA) and on stages in Europe and America.
“The guitar is eternal, immortal. Only the hands that caress it change”
Angel is -because he always will be- a bridge with the new generations of guitarists, through the Ángel G. Piñero Classical Guitar Association and the International Competitions that the Association promotes every year.
Always with a purpose: to enrich the musical heritage of the Spanish classical guitar.
In 2014 Ángel G. Piñero created a classical guitar competition for young Spanish and foreign talents from 18 to 35 years old.
Concerned about the lack of diffusion of the classical guitar and the scarcity of guitar concerts in Spain, Ángel decided to organise an international classical guitar competition to attract the best guitarists of the moment to compete for the prizes and the honour of winning the competition. As part of the policy of supporting the contestants, the Association organised concerts for them in Spain and abroad. The competition was communicated to music conservatories in Europe, America, Asia, Africa and Oceania. In this sense, it is the “Ángel G. Piñero” Classical Guitar Association itself which is responsible for the development, promotion and dissemination of this unique competition in its field.
The Ángel G. Piñero International Classical Guitar Contest brings together guitarists from all continents. Since its creation in 2014 until 2019 it has been held physically in El Puerto de Santa María (Cádiz). For the 2020, 2021 and 2022 editions, the contest was held in digital format, due to the COVID-19 crisis.
This year 2023, the X edition of the International Classical Guitar Competition “Ángel G. Piñero” is held within the framework of the VII International Guitar Festival of Granada organised by the European Guitar Foundation. This is a very special edition as it will be a tribute to the figure of Ángel and will mark the continuity of the legacy of the recently deceased maestro Ángel G. Piñero.
In 2021 the Association launches the First International Classical Guitar and String Quartet Competition “Ángel G. Piñero”.
- Catherine Lacoste: President of the Classical Guitar Association “Ángel G. Piñero”.
- Ramón Vergara S.: young guitarist trained at the University of Chile and winner of the I edition of the International Classical Guitar Competition “Ángel G. Piñero” in 2014. Concert performer and member of the “Dúo Hispania: Verso y madera” and the theater company “Finalis Terra”.
- José Luis Merlín: international composer and concert pianist.
- José Luis Ruiz del Puerto: director of the Alhambra Guitar Foundation. International concert performer and director of the Alhambra International Classical Guitar Competition.
- Mª Esther Guzmán: international concert performer.
- Vicente Coves: president of the European Guitar Foundation. International concert pianist. Director of the Pepe Romero Guitar Festival Malaga. International Guitar Festival of Granada and Antonio Marín Montero Guitar Building Competition.
- Catherine Lacoste: presidenta de la Asociación de Guitarra Clásica “Ángel G. Piñero”.
- Ramón Vergara S.: joven guitarrista formado en la Universidad de Chile y ganador de la I edición del Concurso Internacional de Guitarra Clásica “Ángel G. Piñero” en 2014. Concertista y miembro del “Dúo Hispania: Verso y madera” y de la compañía de teatro “Finalis Terra”.
- José Luis Merlín: compositor y concertista internacional.
- José Luis Ruiz del Puerto: director de la Fundación Alhambra Guitarras. Concertista internacional y director del Concurso Internacional de Guitarra Clásica Alhambra.
- Mª Esther Guzmán: concertista internacional.
- Vicente Coves: presidente de la European Guitar Foundation. Concertista internacional. Director del Pepe Romero Guitar Festival Málaga. Festival Internacional de la Guitarra de Granada y Antonio Marín Montero Guitar Building Competition.
First prize: 7.000€
In addition, during the year 2024, the winner will be part of the jury of the contest 2024, will have a concert in the guitar festival of Granada and another concert organized by the “Asociación de Guitarra Clásica Ángel G. Piñero.
- Second prize: 5.000€
- Third prize: 3.000€ with the collaboration of AIE (Sociedad de Artistas Intérpretes o Ejecutantes de España).
- Non-awarded finalists: Travel bag of 1.000€.
Primer premio: 7.000€
- Además, durante el año 2024, el ganador formará parte del jurado del concurso 2024, tendrá un concierto dentro del festival de guitarra de Granada y otro concierto más organizado por la “Asociación de Guitarra Clásica Ángel G. Piñero.
Segundo premio: 5.000€
Tercer premio: 3.000€ con la colaboración de AIE (Sociedad de Artistas Intérpretes o Ejecutantes de España).
Finalistas no premiados: Bolsa de viaje de 1.000€
Participants in the competition must always be under 36 years of age at the date of registration for the contest.
Participants are required to have completed their higher guitar studies or to be in the process of finishing their last courses.
All participants will have to register beforehand in order to access the private area. Once inside, they will have access to the two Master's pieces mentioned in the rules as a requirement for participation and, in addition, in this private area they will also be able to upload the files necessary for their participation.
An international jury will evaluate the interpretation of the contestants in all its aspects: expressiveness, musicality, technique, tempo, etc. The judges' decision will be final.
The contest is divided into two phases:
First eliminatory phase by video recording: the participant will upload from the private area a video of a maximum duration of 20 minutes in which he/she will perform the two works of the Maestro, the rest of the repertoire being free choice until completing the required 20 minutes.
Second face-to-face final phase: the five finalists selected by the jury will perform live in front of the audience, the two pieces of the Maestro and one of their own choice, with a maximum performance time of 20 minutes.
The contestants must pay a registration fee of 100€ (this amount is non-refundable) which must be paid by bank transfer to the Ángel G. Piñero Classical Guitar Association.
Read the contest rules here and access the page to register and download the two unpublished works by Ángel.
Duis malesuada sapien id dolor fermentum pretium. Curabitur a orci vehicula, porta augue id, ultrices ipsum. Aliquam lorem arcu, porttitor egestas ante quis, eleifend interdum orci. Donec id elementum nisl. Nulla enim augue, iaculis eget tellus eleifend, vehicula facilisis enim. Proin nec placerat nulla. Duis fringilla est est, in rutrum nunc consectetur sit amet. Proin in quam et sapien lobortis condimentum ac ac elit. Ut sed metus risus.
Canto a la serranía